Peter Dixon -- biographical information
- Born October 1945 in Cheshire, UK. I was brought up in Herefordshire, where
my father, Grant Dixon, lived until four months before he died.
- Secondary education at the Grammar School,
Ross-on-Wye and the High School,
- University education at Cambridge:
Churchill College (1963-69) and Clare College (1969-70):
- 1966 Mathematical Tripos Part II; (B.A. degree)
- 1967 Mathematical Tripos Part III;
- 1970 Ph.D. in the Department of Pure Mathematics, thesis entitled "Generalized B*-algebras".
- Subsequent career:
- Clare College, Cambridge: Research Fellow in Pure Mathematics, (1969--73);
- School of Mathematics
and Statistics, University of Sheffield (old picture -
before I arrived): Lecturer (1973-91), Senior Lecturer (1991--92), Reader
(1992-2009), retired October 2009;
- Sc.D. (1991).
- Membership of Learned Societies:
- London Mathematical Society;
- American Mathematical Society.
- Outside interests
- Reading, Fell-walking (old picture), music, (none seriously).
Peter Dixon's home page
Dept. of Pure Maths
School of Mathematics and Statistics (SoMaS)